Hurricane and Flooding Pet Safety
Hurricanes, floods and severe storms are not uncommon here in the Houston, and unfortunately these weather events can do a lot of damage to homes and communities. As a member of your family, your pet’s wellbeing is important. We’ll help you plan for natural disasters so that your family and your pets can all weather the storm in safety. We put together some important storm pet safety tips below.
General Preparation Tips
- Have your pet microchipped and be sure to register their microchip with up-to-date contact information under your name. Pets that get lost are more likely to be found and returned to their owners if they have a chip.
- Make sure that your pet has updated ID tags that include your name, contact information and their medical needs, along with a secure collar and/or harness.
- Your pet should always be current with their vaccinations. Check with your veterinarian if you’re not sure, and get them updated as soon as possible.
- Stock up on batteries, flashlights and make sure phones are charged. Have emergency contacts in your phone and make sure all of your family members have them, too.
- Know the locations of all evacuation routes and animal shelters.
- Keep a portable radio for weather broadcasts and updates.
- If evacuation is possible and you think you’ll need help, network with neighbors, friends and/or family members that can assist you and your pet in getting out safely.