Flowers can brighten up any home and garden, but certain plants are highly poisonous for pets. Amaryllis, various types of lily, daffodils, azaleas, tulips, crocuses, oleander and sago palm can all make your pet very sick. Avoid keeping any of these plants in your home if your pet is known for getting into things, and keep them out of your yard, too. Poison ivy, poison sumac and poison oak are just as dangerous for our pets as they are for us, so be sure to check around your home for these pesky plants as well.
Spring brings plenty of rain, resulting in lots of standing water. Lakes, puddles, creeks, etc. are full of various bacteria that can make your pet ill. Don’t let your pet drink from these water sources, and try to keep them from walking in standing water, too. The tiniest cut or scrape on your pet’s leg or paw can be vulnerable to infection.