Pet Owner Resources
Helpful Links for Animal Medical Center of the Village Clients in Harris County
Please note, Animal Medical Center of the Village provides these pet resources as information only - we do not recommend nor are we affiliated with these organizations or websites. Always call us with questions.
Pet Adoption & Welfare
- BARC Animal Shelter & Adoptions – Houston’s one and only animal shelter that accepts every single animal that comes through its doors.
- Citizens for Animal Protection – Promotes respect and compassion for animals while also providing adoption services, shelter, foster care and more.
- Houston Area Dog Rescue – Use this resource for adopting a specific dog breed in the Houston, TX area.
- Houston Humane Society – Adopt a pet, donate, volunteer, report animal cruelty, or request an appointment at their Wellness & Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic.
- Houston SPCA – Offers volunteering opportunities, wildlife rehabilitation programs, adoptions, community outreach programs and more.
Wildlife Rescue & Rehabilitation
- Lone Star Wildlife Rescue – Treats native and non-native wildlife in and around the Houston, TX area in order to return them safely to the wild.
- The Wildlife Center of Texas – Provides rehabilitation, education, volunteering opportunities and wildlife assistance.
- Tri-State Bird Rescue: Baby Bird FAQ – Answers common questions about what to do if you find a baby bird in or around your home.
- TWRC Wildlife Center – A non-profit wildlife rehabilitation center that promotes environmental conservation and educates the public.
Pet Health, Pet Behavior & Pet Info Sites
- American Animal Hospital Association
- American Association of Feline Practitioners
- American Board of Veterinary Practitioners
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association
- Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges
- Association of American Feed Control Officials
- Veterinary Cancer Society
- United States Pharmacopeia
- American Kennel Club
- International Cat Care
- US FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine
- Southern Veterinary Partners
- Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement
- Companion Animal Parasite Council
- Clean Run - Agility Information
- Assisted Living for Seniors with Pets
- CDC Rabies Information
- CDC Zoonotic Diseases
- Pet Health Network – Find answers about your pet.
- Veterinary Oral Health Council – Pet dentistry information.
- APHIS Pet Travel – Basic information on domestic and international travel of pets by the US Department of Agriculture.
- Veterinary Information Network – This site is a good starting point to learn more about a variety of topics, including feline injection-site sarcomas and the latest subjects in veterinary medicine.
- Humane Society of the United States – Promotes the protection of all animals. Here you will find many wonderful animal-related stories and information on pet care, pet adoption, and animal welfare issues.
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences – Search a toxic plant database.
- ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center – For any animal poison-related emergency or if worried your pet ate something toxic.
- Pets & Parasites – Recommendations for diagnosis, treatment and prevention of parasite infections.
- Heartworm Society – Learn more about deadly heartworms and what you can do to protect your pet.
- The ASPCA – Exists to promote humane principles, prevent cruelty and alleviate fear, pain, and suffering in animals.
- Dog Owner's Guide – This is a nice starter guide of things that you should consider when you are thinking about getting a puppy.
- Pet Health Insurance Review – Compare different pet health insurance companies and insurance plans, and read reviews from pet owners to help you choose the best policy for your pet.
- Consumers Advocate – Features the 10 best pet health insurance plans as of 2018 and allows you to compare rates, coverage, benefit limits, deductibles and more. This resource also includes important frequently asked questions about pet health insurance.
- The Cat Fanciers' Association – This website provides pictures and information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and more.
- HomeAgain & AKC Reunite Microchips & PetLink – Register & update your pet’s microchip information.
- Rainbow Bridge – A Grief Support Community for those who are hurting from the death of a beloved pet.
- Fond Memories – Cremation services that allow you to memorialize your pet however you choose–products include urns, figurines, and more.
- International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council – Provides education and resources to promote wildlife conservation around the world.
- The National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association (NWRA) – An organization committed to preserving and restoring natural ecosystems and promoting wildlife rehabilitation.
- The Sea Turtle Restoration Project’s Mission – An organization dedicated to restoring endangered marine species including sea turtles, fish, seabirds and marine mammals. Promotes sustainable policies for the preservation of marine life through education, litigation, grassroots campaigns and strategic litigation.