Seasonal Tip for Your Pet: Chocolate Toxicity

From Christmas to Valentine’s Day, winter is a popular season for chocolate, but did you know chocolate is actually toxic to pets? Chocolate contains an alkaloid called theobromine, which is similar to caffeine and is what makes it toxic to pets, and the darker the chocolate, the higher the toxicity level.

seasonaltip_subphoto

Chocolate toxicity can lead to a number of problems for your pet, including:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Rapid breathing
  • Increased heart rate
  • Low blood pressure
  • Seizures (in large amounts)
  • Heart failure (in large amounts)

So as a rule of thumb, keep all the sweets out of your pet’s reach. And if you ever catch your pet eating cholate, or if they ever exhibit any of these symptoms, give us a call immediately at 713-524-3800.